Ashby (St. Mary)
ASHBY (St. Mary), a parish, in the East and West Flegg incorporation, hundred of West Flegg, E. division of Norfolk, 4 miles (N.) from Acle. This parish, which was consolidated with those of Thirne and Oby in 1604, now comprises about 1900 acres, whereof 800 are marsh and meadow land. The three places form one rectory, valued in the king's books at £10, and in the gift of the Bishop of Norwich: the tithes have been commuted for £690. Ashby consists of only one farm; it had formerly a church, of which there are very slight remains. The parsonage-house, a respectable residence, is in Oby, and has a glebe of about 23 acres.