Ashby (St. Peter)
ASHBY (St. Peter), a parish, in the union of Caistor, wapentake of Bradley-Haverstoe, parts of Lindsey, county of Lincoln, 6¼ miles (S. by W.) from Grimsby; containing, with the hamlet of Fenby, 211 inhabitants. This parish, which is situated on the old road from Grimsby to Louth, and on the borders of the Wolds, comprises, with Fenby, 1637 acres by admeasurement; the soil is fertile, and the sub-soil generally chalk; the surface is undulated. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £14. 10. 10., and in the gift of the Crown: the tithes have been commuted for £252, and the glebe comprises 45 acres. The church, a very ancient structure in the early English style, with a square tower, contains an oak pulpit richly carved, and an elegant octagonal font, supported on a clustered pedestal, and panelled in quatrefoil: there are also two handsome monuments, one of which is to the memory of Sir William and Lady Frances Wray. There is a chapel of ease at Fenby; also a place of worship in the parish for Wesleyans. In 1641 six almshouses were built by Dame Wray, and endowed by her son Sir Christopher with a rent-charge of £30.