Ashbury (St. Mary)
ASHBURY (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Oakhampton, hundred of Black Torrington, Black Torrington and Shebbear, and N. divisions of Devon, 5¼ miles (S. W. by W.) from Hatherleigh; containing 65 inhabitants. It contains about 1450 acres, in general of a clayey soil. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the king's books at £5. 13. 4., and in the gift of the Crown; income, £96. There are 120 acres of glebe.