Ash (St. Peter and St. Paul)
ASH, (St. Peter and St. Paul), a parish, in the union of Dartford, hundred of Axton, Dartford, and Wilmington, lathe of Sutton-at-Hone, W. division of Kent, 9 miles (N. E.) from Seven-Oaks; containing 663 inhabitants. It comprises 3022 acres, of which 1780 are arable, 180 meadow, 624 woodland, 244 cinque-foil, 169 hop-ground, and 21 furze and waste; the surface is hilly and well wooded, and the soil in some parts chalky, but chiefly a stiff loam. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £9. 18. 4., and in the gift of the family of Lambard; the tithes have been commuted for £675, and there are 20 acres of glebe. A school is endowed with £20 per annum.