Asgarby (St. Swithin)
ASGARBY (St. Swithin), a parish, in the union of Horncastle, W. division of the soke of Bolingbroke, parts of Lindsey, county of Lincoln, 2 miles (N. by W.) from Bolingbroke; containing 131 inhabitants. It comprises by computation 1950 acres, two-thirds of which are pasture, and one-third arable; the soil is a sandy loam. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of the Bishop of Lincoln; net income, £55, with three acres of glebe. The church is a small plain edifice, built about forty years ago. There are some vestiges of an encampment, probably formed during the civil wars, and near which human skeletons are frequently dug up.