Arthingworth (St. Andrew)
ARTHINGWORTH (St. Andrew), a parish, in the union of Market-Harborough, hundred of Rothwell, N. division of the county of Northampton, 4½ miles (S. by E.) from Harborough; containing 242 inhabitants. It comprises 1593 acres, of which 1293 are pasture, 245 arable, and 55 woodland; the soil is of various qualities, a great part being a strong clay; the grazing grounds are very fine. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £12. 2. 8½.; net income, £323; patron, the Rev. Henry Ralph Rokeby. The tithes were commuted for land, under an inclosure act, in 1767; the glebe consists of 215 acres of land, and a house. The church is an ancient structure, with a handsome well-proportioned square tower of later date. A school is endowed with about 24 acres of land at Ashley, producing £40 per annum.