Arrowe, or Arrow
ARROWE, or Arrow, a township, in the parish of Woodchurch, union, and Lower division of the hundred, of Wirrall, S. division of the county of Chester, 4½ miles (W. S. W.) from Birkenhead; containing 122 inhabitants. It lies on the Claughton and Hinderton road, and comprises 752 acres, whereof 97 are in wood, 17 roads, 266 park, and the rest arable and pasture; the soil is a stiff clay, and the surface elevated, commanding very extensive views. A moiety of the manor was in the Thornton family in the reign of Edward II., and passed by successive female heirs to the Duttons and Gerards; the other moiety was in the family of Tildesley in the reign of Henry VII. The manor has of late years been frequently alienated: one-half of it was left in 1527 to the free grammar school at Warrington, and was purchased in 1840 by John Ralph Shaw, Esq., who now owns the whole township, and who in 1835 built the Hall, a mansion of stone, in the Elizabethan style. From the tower of Arrowe Hall can be seen Black Comb, in the county of Cumberland, and the Snowdon range of hills in North Wales.