Arnold (St. Mary)
ARNOLD (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Basford, N. division of the wapentake of Broxtow and of the county of Nottingham, 4 miles (N. by E.) from Nottingham; containing, with part of the hamlet of Daybrook, 4509 inhabitants. It comprises by admeasurement 4349 acres, of which 2610 are arable, 1330 meadow and pasture, 294 wood and plantation, and the remainder roads, waste, &c.; the soil in the eastern part is clay, but elsewhere of a sandy nature. The village, which is remarkably healthy, and well supplied with water, is about three-quarters of a mile long, and a quarter broad, situated in the midst of the ancient forest of Sherwood, and surrounded by a beautifully undulated country. The inhabitants are principally employed in the manufacture of cotton hose, gloves, &c.; and the cotton stockings made here are as fine as those produced at any other place in England. A small fair is held on the first Wednesday after Sept. 19th. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £7. 17. 8., and in the patronage of the Duke of Devonshire; impropriator, T. Holdsworth, Esq. The small tithes have been commuted for £210, and there are 90 acres of glebe. The church is a large handsome edifice in the later English style, with a tower; a tablet in the interior records various charitable bequests amounting to about £150 per annum. There are places of worship for Wesleyans, Wesleyans of the New Connexion, Baptists, and Independents; and a Chartist meeting-house. On Cockliff hill, the highest ground in the county, are the remains of a Roman encampment.