Arnesby (St. Peter)
ARNESBY (St. Peter), a parish, in the union of Lutterworth, hundred of Guthlaxton, S. division of the county of Leicester, 8½ miles (S. by E.) from Leicester; containing 505 inhabitants. It is situated on the road from Leicester to Welford, and comprises about 1250 acres of land, nearly all pasture; the soil is chiefly a clay of a strong quality. The population is principally employed in the stocking manufacture. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £5. 16. 8.; patron, John Sherwin, Esq.: the tithes have been commuted for £60, and the glebe comprises 25 acres. The church is a substantial edifice in good repair, containing about 400 sittings. There is a place of worship for Baptists. Two allotments of land, comprising together 16½ acres, and producing £50. 13. per annum, are appropriated to the benefit of the poor. Robert Hall, the distinguished theological writer, was born here in 1764; the building in which he preached his first sermon is now a barn.