Armthorpe (St. Mary)
ARMTHORPE (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Doncaster, S. division of the wapentake of Strafforth and Tickhill, W. riding of York, 4 miles (E. N. E.) from Doncaster; containing, with the hamlet of Nutwell, 449 inhabitants. This place, in Domesday book called Ernulfestorp, was the property of the monks of the abbey of Roche, who had a grange here, at which the official resided who managed this part of the estates of the establishment, and who was sometimes a brother of the house: they had also an officer called their forester. The parish comprises 3810 acres, and includes the farms of Holm-Wood and Waterton, the latter of which was long the seat of the ancient family of its own name, of whom several served the office of high sheriff, and one was master of the horse to Henry V. The village consists of scattered houses, and is situated on a declivity. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £8. 18. 9., and in the patronage of the Crown, with a net income of £366: the tithes were commuted for land and a money payment, by an inclosure act, in 1775. The church is a small building, with an octagonal turret, and exhibits a good specimen of the original country churches for small parishes. The Primitive Methodists have a place of worship.