Arminghall (St. Mary)
ARMINGHALL (St. Mary), a parish, in the union and hundred of Henstead, E. division of Norfolk, 3 miles (S. E. by S.) from Norwich; comprising by computation 650 acres, and containing 79 inhabitants. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £66; patrons and appropriators, the Dean and Chapter of Norwich, whose tithes have been commuted for £229. 10. The church is chiefly in the early English style, and consists of a nave and chancel, with a square tower. An old house near it has a very rich and curious porch, on the door of which is written, in ancient characters, "Pray for the soul of Master William Ely, who caused this to be made an hospital in the year 1487."