ARMATHWAITE, a chapelry, in the parish of Hesket-in-the-Forest, union of Penrith, Leath ward, E. division of Cumberland, 5 miles (N. W.) from Kirk-Oswald. The village is beautifully situated on the western bank of the Eden, over which is a good stone bridge of four arches. Armathwaite Castle, a handsome modern edifice, built on the site of an ancient fortress, occupies a rocky elevation, at the foot of which flows the Eden; in the reign of Henry VIII. it was, with the estate, the property of John Skelton, the poet-laureat. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £50; patrons, the Trustees of Mr. Milbourne, in whom also the impropriation is vested. The chapel was rebuilt by Richard Skelton in 1668, having for some time previously been used as a shed for cattle.