Arlington (St. Pancras)
ARLINGTON (St. Pancras), a parish, in the union of Hailsham, hundred of Longbridge, rape of Pevensey, E. division of Sussex, 3 miles (W. S. W.) from Hailsham; containing 686 inhabitants. A priory of Black canons was founded at Michelham, in this parish, in honour of the Holy Trinity, by Gilbert de Aquila, in the reign of Henry III.; it continued to flourish till the Dissolution, when its revenue was estimated at £191. 19. 3.: the remains have been converted into a farmhouse, on the north side of which are various pillars and arches, still in tolerable preservation. The parish comprises 5100 acres by admeasurement. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £10. 6. 11.; net income, £156; patron, the Prebendary of Woodhorne in the Cathedral of Chichester; impropriator, Mrs. Attree. The church is an ancient structure in the decorated English style. At Upper Dicker Common, in the parish, is a church dedicated to the Holy Trinity, to which a chapelry district was assigned in 1845, comprising parts of the parishes of Arlington, Chiddingly, and Hellingly: the patronage belongs to the Bishop. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans. In the hamlet of Milton is the site of Barlow Castle, overlooking the river Cuckmere.