Arlingham (St. Mary the Virgin)
ARLINGHAM (St. Mary The Virgin), a parish, in the union of Wheatenhurst, Upper division of the hundred of Berkeley, W. division of the county of Gloucester, 1½ mile (S. E. by E.) from Newnham; containing 793 inhabitants. The parish is situated on a nook of land formed by a curvature of the Severn, by which river it is bounded on three sides, and across which is a ferry to Newnham: from an eminence called Barrow hill is a very extensive and pleasing view. The living is a vicarage, valued in the king's books at £19. 7. 3½., and in the patronage of Mrs. Hodges, to whom also the impropriation belongs; net income, £193. The tithes were commuted for land and corn-rents, by an inclosure act, in 1801. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans. Mrs. Mary Yate, in 1765, endowed a school for boys and girls with a rent-charge of £40; she also gave an additional rent-charge of £40 for the benefit of the poor.