Arksey (All Saints)
ARKSEY (All Saints), a parish, in the union of Doncaster, N. division of the wapentake of Strafforth and Tickhill, W. riding of York, 3 miles (N. by E.) from Doncaster; containing 1056 inhabitants, of whom 266 are in the hamlet of Arksey, and 697 in that of Bentley. The parish comprises the hamlets of Stockbridge, Almholm, Shaftholme, Bodles, Doncaster Bridge-End, and Scawthorpe; and consists of about 5220 acres of fertile land in a champaign district of rich loam: it is bounded on the east by the river Don, and watered by two of its tributary streams. The living is a vicarage, valued in the king's books at £12. 17. 6., and in the patronage of Sir William Bryan Cooke, Bart., the impropriator, with a net income of £113: the tithes were commuted for land and a money payment, under an inclosure act, in the 7th and 8th of George IV. The church consists of a nave, chancel, aisles, transepts, and a tower with a low spire rising from the centre; the interior is rich in heraldic insignia, and the windows have much stained glass in good preservation. The free grammar school here was built in pursuance of the will of Sir George Cooke, and has an endowment of £40 per annum, left by Sir Bryan Cooke in 1660. An almshouse for 12 poor inhabitants is endowed with £120 per annum.—See Bentley.