Arkesden (St. Mary)
ARKESDEN (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Saffron-Walden, hundred of Uttlesford, N. division of Essex, 3 miles (E.) from Newport, and 9 miles (N.) from Bishop-Stortford; containing 498 inhabitants. It comprises 2297a. 2r. 28p.; the surface is undulated, the soil a heavy and tenacious clay. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £13. 6. 8.; net income, £181; patron and impropriator, R. B. Wolfe, Esq. It was formerly endowed with a portion of the great tithes, which were commuted for land and a corn-rent, under an inclosure act, in 1814. The church, a spacious and handsome structure with a square embattled tower, in the later English style, is finely situated on the slope of a hill; the north aisle was built by Thomas Alderton, of London, who founded a chantry here in the reign of Hen. VII.