ARDSLEY, EAST, a parish, in the union of Wakefield, Lower division of the wapentake of Agbrigg, W. riding of York, 3½ miles (N. W. by N.) from Wakefield; containing 900 inhabitants. This parish, which is in the honour of Pontefract, comprises about 1600 acres of fertile land: the village is situated on the road to Bradford, and the surrounding scenery is pleasing. There are extensive coal-mines. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £369; patron and impropriator, the Earl of Cardigan. The tithes of East and West Ardsley were commuted for land, under an inclosure act, in 1826. The church has a square tower. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans.