ARDSLEY, a township and chapelry, in the parish of Darfield, wapentake of Staincross, W. riding of York, 2 miles (E. by S.) from Barnsley; containing 1226 inhabitants. Hand-loom weaving of linen, and the manufacture of fancy drills, are carried on here: a coal-pit is in operation, and there is a valuable stonequarry from which grindstones of a very superior quality are supplied to the Sheffield and Birmingham manufacturers. The Dearne and Dove canal runs through the township. The chapel, dedicated to Christ, a cruciform structure in the Norman style, was erected in 1841, on a site given by Sir George Wombwell, Bart., at an expense of £1200, of which £400 were contributed by the lord of the manor, £200 by the Incorporated Society, £120 by the vicar of Darfield, and the rest by private individuals: it contains 500 sittings, one-third of which are free. The living is a perpetual curacy in the gift of the Vicar of Darfield, with a net income of £120, and a parsonage-house. The tithes have been commuted for £203, half payable to Trinity College, Cambridge, and half to the rector. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans.