Ardleigh (St. Mary)
ARDLEIGH (St. Mary), a parish, in the union and hundred of Tendring, N. division of Essex, 4¾ miles (N. E.) from Colchester; containing 1605 inhabitants. This parish, which comprises 4953 acres, is situated on the road from Colchester to Harwich, and has a station of the Colchester and Ipswich railway, midway between the stations of Colchester and Manningtree. A fair is held on September 29th. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £11. 0. 10., and in the patronage of the Crown; net income, £258. The church is an ancient structure partly rebuilt of brick, with the original square embattled tower of stone. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans. In 1571 William Littlebury bequeathed a farm called Wrabnass, now let for £250 per annum, for the instruction of boys of Ardleigh, Dedham, and other places adjacent.