Abberton (St. Andrew)
ABBERTON (St. Andrew), a parish, in the union of Lexden and Winstree, hundred of Winstree, N. division of Essex, 4½ miles (S.) from Colchester; containing 248 inhabitants. It is situated about a mile and a half to the east of the river Colne, and comprises by measurement 1067 acres. There are some gravel-pits, which afford good materials for repairing the roads; and chalk can be obtained at a distance of three miles, being brought by vessels into the Strode of Mersea island. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £14. 7. 8½., and in the patronage of the Crown: the tithes have been commuted for £300, and there are 50 acres of glebe. The church is a small neat building, on an elevated site, with a square tower of brick. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans.