Arden, with Ardenside
ARDEN, with Ardenside, a township, in the parish of Hawnby, union of Helmsley, wapentake of Birdforth, N. riding of York, 8 miles (N. W. by W.) from Helmsley; containing 137 inhabitants. A small Benedictine nunnery in connexion with Rivaulx Abbey, about four miles distant, was founded here about 1150, the revenue of which, at the Dissolution, was £12: Arden Hall is built upon its site. In 1757, John Smales and Gregory Elsley bequeathed £120. 5., directing the produce to be applied to the instruction of six boys.