APPLETREE-WICK, a township, in the parish of Burnsall, union of Skipton, E. division of the wapentake of Staincliffe and Ewcross, W. riding of York, 9 miles (N. E. by N.) from Skipton; containing 467 inhabitants. This township, which forms the eastern side of Wharfdale, and includes the hamlets of Gateup and Skireholm, comprises by computation 7740 acres, chiefly forming a high moorland district affording tolerable pasture. The village is pleasantly situated; a fair for horses and cattle is held in it annually on the 25th of October, under a charter granted in the reign of Edward III. Christ-church in Skireholm was erected in 1837 by subscription, at a cost of £240, as a chapel of ease to the mother church; it is a neat small edifice. William Craven, lord mayor of London in 1611, and whose son was created Baron Craven in the 2nd, and Earl of Craven in the 16th, of Charles II., was a native of this place.