Appleton, with Hull
APPLETON, with Hull, an ecclesiastical district, in the parish of Great Budworth, union of Runcorn, E. division of the hundred of Bucklow, N. division of the county of Chester, 2 miles (S. S. E.) from Warrington, on the road to Northwich; containing 1753 inhabitants. The manor, with its hamlets of Hull and Stockton, belonged in the reign of Henry III. to Geffrey Dutton, and subsequently passed, with Budworth, to Sir Peter Warburton, Bart. Bradley, another manor, was given by Geffrey, son of Adam de Dutton, to the ancestor of Thomas Daniers or Daniel, whose daughter and heiress, in the reign of Edward III., brought it by marriage to the Savage family; in 1622 it was the seat of the Greggs, and at a later period was held by the Egertons, of Oulton, of whom it was purchased in 1800 by Richard Wilson, Esq. The township was inclosed by an act passed in 1764, and comprises 3048 acres; the soil is clay and sand, with rock, but the first prevails: the Bridgewater canal passes through. A court baron is held by R. E. E. Warburton, Esq. Appleton Hall is the seat of Thomas Lyne, Esq. The living is a perpetual curacy, with a net income of £150, and a residence; patrons, Thomas and Gilbert Greenall, Esqrs.: the church is a plain structure, erected at a cost of £1000. At Stockton Heath is a chapel dedicated to St. Thomas, the incumbent of which has an income of £124. There is also a place of worship for Wesleyans; and a school for infants, boys and girls, is supported by subscription.