Appleton (St. Lawrence)
APPLETON (St. Lawrence), a parish, in the union of Abingdon, hundred of Ock, county of Berks, 5½ miles (N. W.) from Abingdon; comprising 1981a. 2p., and containing, with the township of Eaton, 496 inhabitants. It is bounded on the north-west by the river Thames, which separates it from the county of Oxford, and on the south-east by a small stream called the Ouse. The surface undulates gently from the banks of the Thames, and the scenery is pleasingly diversified; the soil near the river is of a clayey quality, and in the more elevated lands a rich and fertile loam. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £13. 5., and in the gift of Magdalene College, Oxford: the tithes have been commuted for £455, and the glebe comprises 32 acres. The church contains a few monuments to the Fettiplace family. There are some remains of two ancient manor-houses, each surrounded by a moat. Dr. Edmund Dickinson, author of a work entitled Delph Phnicizantes, tracing to the Bible the origin of the heathen mythology, was born here in 1624.