APPLETHWAITE, a township, in the parish of Windermere, union and ward of Kendal, county of Westmorland, 5¼ miles (S. E.) from Ambleside; containing 436 inhabitants. In the township are several beautiful villas, among which is Calgarth Park, commenced in 1789 by Dr. Watson, Bishop of Llandaff, who occupied it till his death in 1816: his remains were interred at Bowness. The residence of Elleray, then the property of Professor Wilson, of Edinburgh, was visited in 1825 by Sir Walter Scott and George Canning, Mr. Wordsworth being also present at the meeting; and during the visit, a most splendid regatta took place on Windermere lake under the direction of Professor Wilson. Rayrigg, on the road to Bowness, was a residence of Mr. Wilberforce's. Two bobbin-mills afford employment to a portion of the population. The tithes have been commuted for £27.