Applesthorpe, or Apesthorpe (St. Peter)
APPLESTHORPE, or Apesthorpe (St. Peter), a parish, in the union of East Retford, North-Clay division of the wapentake of Bassetlaw, N. division of the county of Nottingham, 5 miles (N. by E.) from East Retford; containing 109 inhabitants. It comprises 783a. 3r. 27p., and is bounded on the east by the river Trent; the surface is flat, and the soil a stiffish clay; the land near the Trent is rich meadow. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £81; patron, the Bishop of Lincoln. The tithes were commuted for land, under an inclosure act, in 1795. The church has been more than a century in ruins, and the inhabitants attend that at North Leverton: there is, however, a burial-ground, which was inclosed in 1833.