Acklam (St. John the Baptist)
ACKLAM (St. John the Baptist), a parish, in the union of Malton, wapentake of Buckrose, E. riding of York; containing the townships of Acklam-with-Barthorpe, and Leavening; and having 845 inhabitants, of whom 411 are in Acklam-with-Barthorpe, 7¼ miles (S.) from Malton. The parish comprises about 4000 acres: the surface is elevated, including a portion of the wolds, from which a most extensive view of the surrounding country is obtained; and the scenery is in many parts beautifully romantic. The soil in the valley is a strong clay, in other parts of lighter quality; and stone of a good kind for building is largely quarried. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £5; net income, £108; patron, the Chancellor of the Cathedral of York. The church, rebuilt in 1790, is a neat structure with a square tower, and contains 250 sittings. There are places of worship for Primitive Methodists and Wesleyans.