Appleby (St. Michael)
APPLEBY (St. Michael), a parish, in the union of Ashby-de-la-Zouch, partly in the hundred of Repton and Gresley, S. division of the county of Derby, but chiefly in the hundred of Sparkenhoe, S. division of Leicester, 5¾ miles (S. W. by S.) from Ashby; comprising 2803a. 3r., and containing 1075 inhabitants. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £20. 9. 4½.; net income, £750, with a house; patron, George Moore, Esq. The tithes were commuted for land and a money payment, under an inclosure act, in 1771. The church, which is in Leicestershire, was repaired and repewed in 1830, when some windows of painted glass were added by private donation; it contains a curious monument to Sir Stephen and Lady Appleby. A free grammar school was founded in 1699 by Sir John Moore, Knt., lord mayor of London in 1682, who endowed it with an estate at Upton, consisting of 228 acres of land, producing about £315 per annum; the buildings, forming a spacious structure, were erected by Sir Christopher Wren.