Apethorpe (St. Leonard)
APETHORPE (St. Leonard), a parish, in the union of Oundle, hundred of Willybrook, N. division of the county of Northampton, 4¼ miles (S. W. by W.) from Wansford; containing 269 inhabitants. The parish is situated on the road from King's Cliff to Oundle, and on the Willybrook, at the border of Rockingham forest; and comprises 1669a. 15p., a portion of which is occupied by Apethorpe Hall, the seat of the Earl of Westmoreland. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £80; patron, the Bishop of Peterborough. The church contains a sumptuous monument to the memory of Sir Anthony Mildmay, Bart., and his lady; and another with the recumbent figure of an infant, the eldest son of Lord Burghersh, beautifully sculptured by a Florentine artist. The Earl of Westmoreland, by indenture in 1684, charged a farm with the payment of £36 annually in lieu of certain rent-charges assigned by his ancestors, for apprenticing boys and girls of Apethorpe, Wood-Newton, Nassington, and Yarwell.