ACCRINGTON, a post-town, in the parish of Whalley, union of Haslingden, Higher division of the hundred of Blackburn, N. division of Lancashire, 5½ miles (E. by S.) from Blackburn; comprising the chapelry of Old, and the township of New, Accrington; and containing 8719 inhabitants, of whom 1811 are in Old, and 6908 in New, Accrington. This place was possessed by the Lacys, by one of whom, Robert, it was given to the monks of Kirkstall; it was subsequently restored by the monks, and, like other lands of the Lacys, came to the crown. Henry VIII. granted lands here to different persons, and among others, probably to the Kenyons: in 1650 Roger Kenyon is described as "the able and orthodox minister of Accrington." Within the last few years the place has acquired considerable importance, from its situation in the calico-printing district; and some large establishments for spinning cotton-thread, and weaving and printing calico, have been formed. An act for lighting the township with gas, and supplying the inhabitants with water, was passed in 1841. Here is a station of the East Lancashire railway: the line runs hence, to Blackburn westward, to Burnley north-eastward, and to Haslingden southward; three branches here uniting. Old Accrington contains about 739 acres, and New Accrington 2450. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £180; patrons, the Hulme Trustees; appropriator, the Archbishop of Canterbury. The chapel was taken down and rebuilt upon a larger scale in 1826, and improved in 1838: it is a plain structure, with a tower in which are six musical bells; is elegant within; and has a handsome organ. An additional church was erected in 1840, in the form of a cross, at an expense of above £7000, defrayed by Messrs. Hargreaves and Co., and other inhabitants; it is dedicated to Christ, and the living is a perpetual curacy, in the gift of Trustees. There are places of worship for Baptists, Wesleyans, and Swedenborgians; also a national school, erected by subscription in 1816, and towards the support of which Jonathan Peel, Esq., in 1824, gave £1000.