Anthony, West (St. Anthony and St. John the Baptist)
ANTHONY, WEST (St. Anthony and St. John the Baptist), a parish, in the union of St. Germans, S. division of the hundred of East, E. division of Cornwall, 5½ miles (S. E.) from St. Germans; containing, with the chapelry of Torpoint, 2894 inhabitants. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £12. 17. 8½., and in the gift of the family of Carew, the impropriators: the incumbent's tithes have been commuted for £307. 3. 6., with a glebe of 6 acres, and the great tithes for £284. 13. The incumbency of Torpoint is in the gift of the Vicar. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans. A small endowed school was founded in 1766, by Sir Coventry Carew, Bart.