Anstey (St. Mary)
ANSTEY (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Barrow-upon-Soar, hundred of West Goscote, N. division of the county of Leicester, 3¾ miles (N. W.) from Leicester; containing 838 inhabitants. This place, formerly called Hanstigie or Anstige, is situated between the forests of Charnwood and Leicester; and at the dissolution of religious houses belonged to the priory of Ulverscroft, with a reserved rent of 3s. 4d., and a pound of pepper, due to the Lord of Groby. The living is consolidated with the rectory of Thurcaston: the church was rebuilt by the incumbent in 1844, and is now a beautiful edifice, with the old tower; the cost was £4000. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans. In 1376, certain lands, described as "lying in the fields of Anstey in Wolfdale," were granted by John Lenerych, of Leicester; and in 1490 the "Brereyard" was devised by Thomas Martyn and William Haket, and vested in trustees for the repair of the church, bridges, and causeways of this place.