Anslow, or Annesley
ANSLOW, or Annesley, a township, in the parish of Rolleston, union of Burton-upon-Trent, N. division of the hundred of Offlow and of the county of Stafford, 3¾ miles (N. W. by W.) from Burton; containing 278 inhabitants. The manor is now held by the family of Williams. The late Sir John Williams, Knt., one of the judges of the realm, who died in 1846, came into possession in right of his wife, daughter of Davies Davenport, Esq., of Capesthorne, in the county of Chester, whose ancestor purchased it in 1739 from the Mainwarings, of Whitmore, in Staffordshire, to whom it had descended by marriage from the ancient family of Boghay. The township includes the hamlets of Callingwood and Stockdale-Ridding. There was a chapel here before the Reformation; there is now a place of worship for Wesleyans.