Angmering, East and West (St. Peter)
ANGMERING, EAST and WEST (St. Peter), a parish, in the union of Preston (under Gilbert's act), hundred of Poling, rape of Arundel, W. division of Sussex, 5 miles (S. E. by E.) from Arundel; containing 1002 inhabitants. It comprises East and West Angmering and Bargeham, formerly all distinct parishes, which were consolidated in 1573, and now form one parish, containing 4229 acres; 1933 acres are arable, 1895 pasture, and the rest wood. East Angmering had anciently a weekly market, and an annual fair on the 31st of July; but the former has been long discontinued, and the latter has degenerated into a mere pleasure-fair. The living comprises the rectory of West Angmering, with the vicarage of East Angmering consolidated, valued jointly in the king's books at £21. 9. 8.; patrons, the family of Reeks; impropriator of the vicarage, the Rev. J. Usborne. The impropriate tithes have been commuted for £26, the rectorial for £290, and the vicarial for £8. 5. The church is a handsome structure in the later English style, with a square embattled tower, and contains several monumental tablets to the Gratericke family. A school was founded by William Older, who in 1679 endowed it with a cottage and garden, and 30 acres of land at East Angmering, now producing £90 per annum. On the lands of the church farm on the western borders of the parish, a Roman bath was discovered in 1819.