ANGLEZARKE, a township, in the chapelry of Rivington, parish of Bolton, union of Chorley, hundred of Salford, S. division of the county of Lancaster, 3 miles (E. S. E.) from Chorley; containing 164 inhabitants. The township comprises 1857 acres; it is mostly mountainous, abounding with game, and is chiefly the property of William Standish Standish, Esq., of Duxbury, who is lord of the manor. At White Coppice is a cotton-mill: several quarries in the township produce a fine hard gritstone, of whitish appearance, in great request for the paving of roads and streets; and grey slate is sometimes obtained in small quantities. The lead-mines here were wrought more than 130 years ago: after being discontinued for some time, they were again opened by Sir Thomas Standish; and about 70 years since, they were wrought a third time, by his son, Sir Francis Standish, who relinquished the works about 1790. In 1823 the Messrs. Thompson, of Wigan, commenced operations anew, but they were unsuccessful, and the works were in consequence abandoned. These mines contain immense quantities of the carbonate of barytes, a mineral whose value was unknown until about the year 1782, when the visit of two Frenchmen to the mines led to the knowledge of its nature and properties: Dr. Withering and Dr. Crawford subsequently drew the attention of all Europe to the newly discovered mineral. The carbonate of barytes found here consists of 22 parts of carbonic acid, and 78 parts of barytes. At Brookhouse Farm, where are powerful springs, was commenced on 7th April, 1847, the construction of works and reservoirs for supplying water to Chorley; and it is proposed to supply the town of Liverpool also with water from this place: the distance to Liverpool is twenty miles, but the great elevation at Anglezarke renders the position chosen most favourable for the purpose.