ANGERTON, HIGH, a township, in the parish of Hartburn, union of Morpeth, W. division of Morpeth ward, N. division of Northumberland, 7 miles (W.) from Morpeth; containing 75 inhabitants. This place is noticed in the year 1262 as the residence of the Baroness Theophania, widow of Hugh de Bolbeck, who was sheriff of Northumberland, governor of several castles, and held other offices of importance: from the Bolbecks, both High and Low Angerton went in regular descent to the Howards, with whom they continued until within the last few years. The township extends to the village of Hartburn, and comprises 1197 acres of rich loamy soil, whereof 550 are arable, 571 pasture, and the remainder woodland. The vicar receives £125. 9. for the tithes of this place.