Ampton (St. Peter)
AMPTON (St. Peter), a parish, in the union of Thingoe, hundred of Thedwestry, W. division of Suffolk, 5¼ miles (N. by E.) from Bury St. Edmund's; containing 147 inhabitants. In this parish, which comprises 736a. 3r. 4p., is the seat of Lord Calthorpe, scarcely surpassed for beauty of situation by any mansion or grounds in Suffolk. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the king's books at £5. 2. 1., and in the gift of his lordship: the tithes have been commuted for £120, and the glebe consists of 20 acres. Calthorpe's school, adjoining the churchyard, was founded and endowed in 1705, by James Calthorpe, Esq., and has property in land consisting of about 430 acres, and yielding a rental of £384; in addition to which, Henry Edwards in 1715 bequeathed £100, with which, and other accumulations, £1017 three per cent. consols were purchased, paying a dividend of £30. On Ampton green is an almshouse for four unmarried women, founded under the will of Mrs. Dorothy Calthorpe dated 1693, and endowed with £700 Old South Sea Annuities.