Amport (St. Mary)
AMPORT (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Ludgershall, hundred of Andover, Andover and N. divisions of the county of Southampton, 4¼ miles (W. by S.) from Andover; containing, with the tythings of East Cholderton and Sarson, 771 inhabitants, and comprising 3594 acres. The living is a vicarage endowed with the rectorial tithes, with the living of Appleshaw annexed, and valued in the king's books at £25. 7. 11.; patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Chichester. The tithes of Amport have been commuted for £830, and there are 70 acres of glebe. Pursuant to the will of the Rev. Thomas Sheppard, D.D., dated in 1812, a school, and an almhouse consisting of six tenements, were built here by his widow, who vested in trustees the sum of £9000 for the maintenance of six widows, for a schoolmistress's salary, medical attendance, and the repair of the buildings.