Ampney-Crucis (The Holy Rood)
AMPNEY-CRUCIS (The Holy Rood), a parish, in the union of Cirencester, hundred of Crowthorne and Minety, E. division of the county of Gloucester, 3½ miles (E.) from Cirencester; containing, with the hamlet of Hilcot-End, 591 inhabitants. It comprises by measurement 3088 acres. The soil is various, in some parts of very inferior quality, and in others tolerably fertile; stone suitable for repairing the roads is quarried. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £6. 9. 0½., and in the patronage of the Crown; net income, £84; impropriator, G. G. Blackwell, Esq. The church has an embattled tower, and some portions of ancient architecture, among which is a handsome Norman arch dividing the nave from the chancel. Here is a charity school, endowed in 1719, by Robert Pleydell, Esq., with a rent-charge of £80.