AMBLECOAT, a hamlet, in the parish of Old Swinford, union of Stourbridge, S. division of the hundred of Seisdon and of the county of Stafford, ½ a mile (N.) from Stourbridge; containing 1623 inhabitants. It is situated on the north side of the small river Stour, and comprises about 600 acres, whereof the surface is undulated. There are fire-clay pits, clayworks, glass-houses, and iron-works, of which last those of James Foster, Esq., of Stourton Castle, are among the largest in the kingdom. The Wolverhampton and Stourbridge road passes through the hamlet. The tithes have been commuted for £220. A district church, erected at a cost of £4300, chiefly raised by subscription, was opened for divine service on 7th August 1842; it is built of fire-brick: the living has been endowed by the Earl of Stamford, and is in his gift. There are places of worship for Wesleyans, and Methodists of the New Connexion; also a national school on the Madras system, with about 350 children; a Church Sunday school, of 300 children more; and two small dissenting schools.