Alwalton (St. Andrew)
ALWALTON (St. Andrew), a parish, in the union of Peterborough, hundred of Normancross, county of Huntingdon, 5 miles (N. N. W.) from Stilton; containing 329 inhabitants. The parish is situated on the river Nene, which here separates the counties of Huntingdon and Northampton, and on the great north road, near its intersection with the road from Lynn to Northampton; it comprises 910a. 3r. 38p., of which the soil is fertile, and the surface beautifully varied. On the banks of the Nene are found great blocks of grey fossil stone, susceptible of a very high polish. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £3. 5. 10., and in the gift of the Dean and Chapter of Peterborough: the tithes were commuted for 197 acres of land and a money payment, under an inclosure act, in 1805. The church exhibits in the body of the building a singular combination of Norman and early English architecture: it has been new roofed in appropriate style, and the chancel restored to its pristine elegance by the rector, who has also built a handsome parsonage-house. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans. Dr. Timothy Neve, archdeacon of Huntingdon, was buried here in 1757.