Alvingham (St. Adelwold)
ALVINGHAM (St. Adelwold), a parish, in the union of Louth, Marsh division of the hundred of Louth-Eske, parts of Lindsey, county of Lincoln, 4 miles (N. E.) from Louth; containing 313 inhabitants. It comprises by computation 1600 acres, and is intersected by the Louth navigation. The living is a perpetual curacy, with that of Cockerington St. Mary annexed, in the patronage of the Bishop of Lincoln, who, as appropriator, owns about 400 acres of land, allotted in lieu of tithes at the inclosure in 1819, and from the produce of which the incumbent's stipend is paid. The church was rebuilt in 1826, and is a neat and commodious building, situated in the same churchyard as that of Cockerington. A priory of Gilbertine nuns and canons, dedicated to the Virgin Mary and St. Adelwold, was founded here in the reign of Henry II., which, at the Dissolution, was valued at £141. 15. per annum.