Alveston (St. James)
ALVESTON (St. James), a parish, in the union of Stratford-on-Avon, Snitterfield division of the hundred of Barlichway, W. division of the county of Warwick, 2 miles (E. N. E.) from Stratford; containing 793 inhabitants. It is situated on the river Avon, and comprises by measurement 2700 acres, whereof fourfifths are arable land; the remainder is pasture by the river side, with 150 acres of wood. The road from Stratford to Wellesbourn-Hastings passes through the parish. The living is a vicarage, valued in the king's books at £6; net income, £220; patron, the Rector of Hampton-Lucy; impropriator, George Lucy, Esq.: the glebe consists of 90 acres. The church, rebuilt in 1839, at an expense of about £2500, chiefly raised by subscription, is in the early English style, with a square tower: the east window, presented by the patron, contains a full length figure of St. James, and the arms of the Lucy family; the interior of the edifice is very neatly and conveniently fitted up. A school is supported by subscription.