Alveston (St. Helen)
ALVESTON (St. Helen), a parish, in the union of Thornbury, partly in the Lower, but chiefly in the Upper, division of the hundred of Langley and Swinehead, W. division of the county of Gloucester, 1 mile (S. by E.) from Thornbury; containing 841 inhabitants. This parish lies on the road from Bristol to Birmingham, and comprises by computation 2600 acres, including some waste lands, for the inclosure of which an act was passed in 1836: the land is almost entirely pasture, and is thickly clothed with elm, beech, and oak. The scenery is grand, and the parish being situated on a high ridge, commands extensive views of the Severn and the surrounding country. The living is a vicarage, annexed to that of Olveston: the tithes have been commuted for £319, and the glebe comprises 25 acres. The church, situated at some distance from the village, is a small edifice in the later English style, with a low square embattled tower. There is a place of worship for a congregation of Wesleyans. Some remains of a Roman encampment are to be seen in a part of the parish called the Abbey.