ALVESCOTT, a parish, in the union of Witney, hundred of Bampton, county of Oxford, 6 miles (S. S. E.) from Burford; comprising 2021a. 29p., and containing 357 inhabitants. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £8. 16. 8.; net income, £371; patrons, the family of Neate. All the tithes were commuted for land and corn-rents, under an inclosure act, in 1796. The church is an ancient structure, consisting of a nave with semi-transepts, a massive western tower, and a chancel, which has been rebuilt, and contains some mural monuments. Goddard Carter, Esq., in 1723, left a rent-charge of £10, directing one-half to be applied in educating poor children, and the remainder in apprenticing them.