ALVERTHORPE, a township, comprising the ecclesiastical districts of Alverthorpe and Thornes, in the parish and union of Wakefield, Lower division of the wapentake of Agbrigg, W. riding of York, 1½ mile (W. N. W.) from Wakefield; containing 5930 inhabitants. This township, including Westgate Common, a suburb of the borough of Wakefield, comprises by computation 3000 acres. The land is rich and fertile, and in profitable cultivation; the surface is varied; the substratum abounds with coal of good quality, and several mines are in operation. The village of Alverthorpe is pleasantly situated, and the township includes also the village of Thornes, and the hamlets of Fanshaw, Kirkham Gate, and Silcoates. The population is chiefly employed in the spinning of woollen and worsted yarn, and in the manufacture of woollen cloth and worsted stuffs, for which there are several mills and large factories; the manufacture of rope and twine is also carried on to a considerable extent. Alverthorpe church, dedicated to St. Paul, was erected in 1826, at an expense of £8000, chiefly by grant of the Parliamentary Commissioners: it is a handsome structure in the early English style, with a square embattled tower crowned with pinnacles, and contains 1600 sittings, of which 800 are free. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the gift of the Vicar of Wakefield; the income, previously £72, was augmented in 1841 with £78 per annum by the Ecclesiastical Commissioners, and a neat residence for the minister was built in 1842. The small tithes were commuted for land and a money payment, under an act of inclosure, in 1793. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans. The Northern Congregational School at Silcoates House was instituted in 1830, for the board and education of the sons of ministers of the Independent denomination.