ALVASTON, a chapelry, in the parish of St. Michael, Derby, union of Shardlow, hundred of Morleston and Litchurch, S. division of the county of Derby, 3½ miles (S. E. by E.) from Derby; containing 493 inhabitants. The manor, then called Alewoldestune, was held by Tochi at the time of the Domesday survey; and belonged afterwards to Ralph Fitz-Germund, founder of Dale Abbey, whose descendant Matilda gave Alvaston to that monastery. In 1547 it was granted to the Needham family, from whom it passed to various hands. It was esteemed a chapelry in the 12th century. The area is 1355 acres; the chapelry is pleasantly situated near the river Derwent, on the London road, and the Derby canal runs through. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the gift of the parishioners, with a net income of £116: the tithes were commuted for land, under an inclosure act, in 1802; the glebe here consists of about 67 acres, and portions of land have been purchased in Leicestershire and Derbyshire by an allowance from Queen Anne's Bounty. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans; and schools are aided by the trustees of Gilbert's charity, which provides also for the repair of the chapel.