ALVASTON, a township, in the parish, union, and hundred of Nantwich, S. division of the county of Chester, 2½ miles (N. E.) from Nantwich; containing 40 inhabitants. The ancient manor of Alvaston was possessed by the Bromley family, but no manor now exists: in 1788 the principal estate came by purchase to the Fosters. In the township is the common of Croach or Beam-heath, which in 1285 was given by Richard Alvaston to the whole community of the town of Wich-Malbank, now Nantwich; but it being deemed more for the benefit of the persons interested, the common was inclosed by act of parliament, in 1803. The township comprises 610 acres, of which 450 are in Beamheath; the soil is partly sand and partly clay. Races are held annually. The tithes have been commuted for £82. 7. 6.