Althorne (St. Andrew)
ALTHORNE (St. Andrew), a parish, in the union of Maldon, hundred of Dengie, S. division of Essex, 4 miles (N. W.) from Burnham; containing 418 inhabitants. It is situated on the estuary of the river Crouch, from the overflowing of which the lands are protected by very strong embankments, nine feet high, constructed by labourers from Holland, whose descendants are still resident here. The living is a vicarage, united to the rectory of Creeksea in 1811, and valued in the king's books at £14; impropriator, Thomas Wilson, Esq. The great tithes have been commuted for £454. 5. 6., the small tithes for £155. 15.; and there are more than six acres of glebe. The church is a small edifice, containing, in the aisles, two brass plates with inscriptions in the old English character, one to the memory of Margaret Hycklot, the other to William Hycklot, "who paid for the workmanship of the walls of this church," and died in 1508.