Alsop-Le-Dale, with Eaton
ALSOP-LE-DALE, with Eaton, a chapelry, in the parish of Ashbourn, hundred of Wirksworth, S. division of the county of Derby, 5½ miles (N. by W.) from Ashbourn; containing 67 inhabitants. Alsop is the Elleshope of the Domesday survey. The manor was given by the crown to William de Ferrars, Earl of Derby, from whom it passed in succession to various families. Eaton was an appendage to the manor of Parwich, and was granted by King John to the family of Ferrars; about 1518 it appears to have belonged to the Vernons, of Haddon. The road from Ashbourn to Buxton lies in the vicinity of both places. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of the inhabitant freeholders; net income, £49. The chapel, dedicated to St. Michael, is of Norman architecture, with many modern alterations. A large half-timbered building here is in good preservation.